This workshop is based on the book Children are From Heaven from best selling author John Gray, author of Men are from Mars Women are from Venus.
Positive parenting moves away from control based and fear based parenting models.
Central to this new approach to parenting are the five positive messages children need to learn again and again.
- It is Okay to be different
- It is Okay to make mistakes
- It is Okay to express negative emotions
- It is Okay to want more
- It is Okay to say no, but remember Mom and Dad are the bosses.
The message of this approach is that children are from heaven and already have within themselves what they need to grow. The job as a parent (or teacher) is to support that process.
In the workshop we will cover the following areas
- The five messages of positive parenting.
- The five skills of positive parenting
- Ask, but don't order or demand. This includes using “would you” not “could you”; giving up rhetorical questions, being direct, giving up explanations or lectures, refraining from using emotions to manipulate.
- Listening and understanding feelings
- Reward rather than punish
- Command rather than demand
- Timeouts to regain control
- The four temperaments and how to adjust your parenting style to each one
- How to translate Mars Venus differences to boys & girls
- How to increase self-esteem
- Why children get out of control and misbehave
- How to be loving and set good boundaries/limits
- How to decrease disruptive behavior