Couples and Relationship Counseling
Welcome, please read our Disclaimer before exploring our website.
Your marriage or relationship with your significant other is one of the most important resources in your life.
When it does not work
it can be a source of:
- Stress and Strain
- Conflict and Pain
- Misunderstanding & Loneliness
- Hurt and betrayal
- Fear and Sadness
When it works
it can be a source of
- Strength and Stability
- Pleasure and Passion
- Caring and Acceptance
- Trust and Respect
- Love and Friendship
- Teamwork and Togetherness
It's Never Too Late To Save A Relationship. If your relationship is more in the Left Box, you can move it into the Right Box.
Six things you need to know about marriages/relationships:
1) Even though deeply damaged, they can be repaired and even made better than ever.
2) Good and great relationships do not withstand the test of time when they are not properly cared for.
3) Most people do not know the secrets to cultivating and maintaining good and great relationships.
4) The current culture we live in is actually not very supportive of marriage and long-term relationships. There are many forces that work against you, and you may not even know what they are.
5) The best thing you can do for your children is have a great marriage.
6) Couples counseling/coaching can be a tremendously positive and even transformative for any couple, whether they are on the brink of divorce or just suffering from the initial effects of relationship decay.
Four things you need to know about effective relationship counseling.
1) Sessions should NOT be spent with you fighting and arguing and the therapist just listening. One of the chief complaints I have heard from many people about previous therapy is that the therapists allowed them to bicker and argue, and they felt worse after every session. Effective therapists do not allow couples to continue to engage in the same destructive forms of communications that they do at home.
2) Effective couples work usually involves active participation from the therapist and each member of the couple. Couples who succeed in counseling learn to stop simply blaming the other person. Instead they move toward taking personal responsibility for their part of the problem and making changes to be part of the solution. Effective therapists rapidly identifiy negative patterns before they gain speed. Couples need to learn how to do that at home.
3) Effective couples work should regularly leave you feeling more uplifted as an individual and closer to each other. Sometimes there definitely are difficult feelings and issues to tackle. But just as good marriage and relationships should be mostly positive the same is true of counseling.
4) Effective counseling is partially an education and coaching process. Research has shown that there are specific communication patterns that simply do not work and specific patterns that do. . You need to learn what works and youneed help to practice it.
|Dr Schwarz is a Licensed Psychologist and Clinical Member of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy Association. He has been working with couples for 25 years. He is known for his ability to get to the heart of the matter quickly, his ability to help people speak their truth, and his ability to help people reconnect with their sense of humor and appreciation for each other. Dr Schwarz has been personally trained by John Gray, author of Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. The office is the only licensed Mars & Venus Counseling Center in Pennsylvania. His newbook entitled: We're No funy more: Helping couples create a joyful lifetrhough the power of play focuses on teaching therapists how to help couples increase the positive energy and playfulness in their relationship. It is now available at Amazon.
Withover 25 years of experience there are few problems we have not encountered. Common issues we work with include:
- Poor Conflict Resolution
- Sexual differences and difficulties
- Money problems
- Lack of fun and Joy
- Parenting Difficulties
- Step Families
- Healthy Separation
Dr. Robert Schwarz, Energy psychology ,ardmore, Pa, Haverford, Pa, marriage counseling, psychology, psychologist coaching stop smoking, PTSD, marriage counselor